- Position Software Engineer
- Reports to Team Lead
- Location Sydney
- Remuneration & Benefits Commensurate with skills and experience Shares: Participation in the Staff Equity Program Mobile Phone: $50 per month Notebook/PC: $4,000 one off
- Commencement Date Immediate
Switch Automation is a rapidly growing technology company with headquarters in Denver, Colorado; and a global development team lead out of Sydney, Australia.Switch was founded with an ambitious goal to improve the way that we operate buildings—to make a lasting, positive impact on our environment. Big goals, yes. But that’s why we’re so dedicated to building a big, smart, fun team. We help people who manage lots of buildings create a strategic, scalable smart buildings program that connects all of their buildings, data, operations and team members onto one stunning, easy to use software platform. It’s an especially exciting time at Switch, as we focus on customer success, business development efforts, and brand awareness.
We are seeking an experienced and passionate Software Engineer who has at least five years in developing complex software applications. Our CTO is responsible for leading and managing several software development teams that contribute to and expand the Switch Platform--you will report directly to the Team Lead for one of those groups.
In this role, you will:
- Contribute to the scale and design of the Switch Platform
- Lead and make solid contributions to development practices and processes
- Solve complex technical and scaling problems
- Take ownership of various services in the platform making it better with each iteration
Areas of responsibility
1. Strategy & Planning
- In partnership with company management, identify opportunities and risks for delivering Switch Platform services, including identifying competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessing obstacles and technical hurdles.
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technologies for delivering Switch Platform services.
- Review current best practices for cloud development and architecture for the application.
2. Implementation & Deployment
- Software development for any projects you are assigned to
- You may be required to manage Switch company staff or outsourced contractors who will participate in platform development
- Support and use the software revision control system and repository.
- Support and use the internal communications systems, such as a wiki, blog, chat room, project management, and bug tracking systems
- Collaborate with a User Experience Designer and potential customers to prepare wireframes or mock-ups of prototypes
- Support and have input into the company’s software development methodology.
- Conduct code reviews and specification conformance testing
- Support the quality assurance process, including integration and system testing.
- Review and approve proposed development releases and manage the release process.
- Monitor application performance and review any application failures in staging or production.
3. Operational Management
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices.
- Define and communicate Switch values and standards for software development
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization.
- Ensure technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Ensure the company’s internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with community expectations and applicable laws and regulations for privacy, security and social responsibility.
- University degree in the field of computer science.
- Demonstrated ability in cloud based applications
- 5 years’ experience in software development
- Hands-on experience coding in more than one development environment
- Familiar with more than one software development methodology.
- Ability to document user requirements and develop specifications.
- Knowledge of web standards.
- Knowledge of Internet protocols, database management systems, and revision control systems.
- Familiarity with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
To be successful in this role, you must also have:
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Superior analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional service orientation.
If that's you, hopefully you also have:
- Demonstrated knowledge in the areas of building automation and/or energy management.
- 3 years’ experience with start-up companies.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.